Release time: 2018-09-03 15:33:05 Number of browsing：
In 2017, poverty alleviation office of CAST has firmly implemented the Central Committee’s decisions on the battle against poverty as well as spirit of fixed-point poverty alleviation work in the new era. Following the requirements from the Secretariat of the CAST Party Group, it has persevered in targeted poverty alleviation and eradication, paid particular attention to helping people increase confidence in their own ability to lift themselves out of poverty and access the education, and focused on registration of poor households. Besides, targeting the battle against poverty, it has given full play to its advantages in S&T and talent, and actively promoted fixed-point poverty alleviation work, which has achieved initial results. According to the appraisal of the work carried out by Work Committee for Departments directly under the CPC Central Committee and State Organs Work Committee of CPC Central Committee in 2017, CAST was among the top 10%, and the grade was “good”.
(I) Paying high attention to fixed-point poverty alleviation work
Huai Jinpeng, secretary of the leading Party members’ group, executive vice president and chief executive secretary of CAST, paid high attention to fixed-point poverty alleviation work. He listened to the report on Lvliang fixed-point poverty alleviation work through special thematic session among the leading Party members’ group, and looked at ways to work better in the new era. Xu Yanhao, deputy secretary of the leading Party members’ group, vice president and executive secretary of CAST chaired the fixed-point poverty alleviation work session, and exchanged opinions with five members of the standing committee from Shanxi Association for Science and Technology and Lvliang municipal government and county Party secretaries from Lin and Lan counties on the fixed-point poverty alleviation work. Besides, members of the leading Party members’ group responsible for poverty alleviation work convened regular thematic sessions to look at ways to promote the implementation of annual plan. To supervise and advance the work, two survey teams led by Shu Wei and Wang Yanhu from the Secretariat of the leading Party members’ group of CAST respectively investigated Lin county and Lan county on their fixed-point poverty alleviation work as well as the construction of grassroots Party organizations. They exchanged opinions with leaders from the county Party Committee and the county government, deployed fixed-point poverty alleviation work, and visited seconded cadre and the first secretary of the village.
Figure 1: Huai Jinpeng investigated Lentinus edodes production base in Caocheng village, Liangjiazhuang town, Lan county
(II) Selecting seconded cadre for poverty alleviation work
Under the unified deployment by the Organization Department of CPC Central Committee, CAST has selected 6 excellent young seconded cadres in total as the deputy county magistrate and the first secretary at village in poor areas in 2017 to carry out poverty alleviation work for a two-year term (the term of 2 first secretary at village ended in August, 2017). Fang Ruibiao from CAST, delegate of the 19th CPC National Congress and one of 6 seconded cadres, devoted himself to the work wholeheartedly and displayed sincere work style as well as relatively higher political awareness and professional level, which was spoken highly by local cadres and masses, making positive contribution to the county’s poverty alleviation work.
(III) Alleviating poverty through S&T: new model helps Lvliang’s industry-based poverty alleviation achieve good results
Under the development plan of industries in fixed-point poverty alleviation county, CAST proposed new model to alleviate poverty through S&T according to local conditions. This model adopts scientific techniques of “Five in One” plantation, creates the combination of “S&T plus cooperatives (China Rural Special Technology Association) plus village committees plus poor households”, carries out production and marketing through industry forum and business cooperation, which provides technological support to the development of local agricultural industry and contributes to industry-based poverty alleviation work.
In 2017, CAST has launched a series of support programs in potato, edible fungus, and animal husbandry industries, and helped these two countries establish 14 demonstration bases for planting with scientific techniques. This directly led to the registration of 2,135 poor households or 6,232 poor people having increased income and being lifted out of poverty. Besides, it has established expert service stations to introduce advanced technologies, which brings S&T forces to the development of local industries. Moreover, it has strengthened the construction of organization system of rural special technology associations, and set up a union of three county level associations, realizing the full coverage of poor counties in rural special technology associations and their services. In addition, in Lin county, it has pushed forward potato planting to be the pillar industry of targeted poverty alleviation work and established brand advantage of jujube Lentinus edodes. In Lan county, it has helped potato industry to form the development model of the whole industry chain which includes potato seed, potato flower, potato and potato products, and promoted breed improvement as well as scientific feeding of husbandry industry.
Figure 2: Tissue culture lab of Kangnong Potato Industry Group in Lan county
(IV) Giving full play to CAST’s advantage in resources and innovating fixed-point assistance work
1. Establishing the demonstration sample of S&T facilitating targeted poverty alleviation project in Lvliang
CAST has profoundly promoted the implementation of S&T facilitating targeted poverty alleviation project, increased S&T supply and support to fixed-point poverty alleviation areas in Lvliang, and focused on the establishment of the demonstration sample in Lvliang. It has helped the two counties formulateCAST Facilitates Targeted Poverty Alleviation Plan in Lin and Lan Counties of Shanxi Province (2017-2019). Besides, it has contributed to the strategic cooperation agreement between Shanxi Association for Science and Technology and Lvliang municipal government, aiming to realize the full coverage of China Science Communication Rural E-Station in towns and key villages of Lvliang. CAST Party Group has carried out thematic study on the promotion of pilot mobile science museums in poor areas, and formed preliminary support program.
2. Gathering advantageous science popularization resources of CAST to support the improvement of scientific literacy of people in two counties
Helping poor people access intelligence should be prior to poverty alleviation, and eliminating their ignorance should be prior to lifting them out of poverty. First, the construction of science popularization facilities has been promoted. CAST has introduced science popularization facilities such as Science Popularization Caravan and Science and Technology Museum for High School Students in fixed-point poverty alleviation counties to forge grassroots service and expanded service areas, which lays a solid foundation for improving local people’s scientific literacy. Second, S&T education activities for teenagers have been expanded and enriched. CAST has launched a batch of programs such as Hope Tour of Science Popularization Lectures, China Science and Technology Museum Lecture Room, China Mobile Science Museum exhibitions, and national Youth University Science Camp, which improves the educational level of science popularization for teenagers in poor areas, arouses their interests in science, and strengthens their awareness of science. Third, advantage in resources has been given full play to provide intellectual support. CAST has organized industry forums and symposiums to seek solutions to problems and the bottleneck occurred during the industry’s development. It has developed a series of activities to provide medical support to fixed-point poverty alleviation counties, aiming to improve diagnosis and treatment quality. By signing an agreement with local government, it has actively explored a long-term mechanism.
3. Publicizing and promote typical examples
First, typical examples have been set and widely publicized. The exemplary deeds of Fang Ruibiao from CAST, delegate of the 19th CPC National Congress and the first secretary of Loufangping Village, Lan county, were set as the typical example for publicity. Second, the publicity of poverty alleviation work for 30 years by CAST in Lvliang has started. Documentary and picture album recording CAST’s poverty alleviation work in Lvliang have been made, which conclude the experience and results achieved during these 30 years.
II. Fixed-point Poverty Alleviation Work Plan for 2018
To firmly implement the spirit of the 19th CPC National Congress and the Central Committee’s decisions on the battle of targeted poverty alleviation, and fulfill the “Six Responsibilities” of state organs in fixed-point poverty alleviation work proposed by the Central Committee, CAST will stick to the theme of poverty alleviation, focus on helping people access intelligence, and aim at encouragement. According to secretary Huai Jinpeng’s instruction during his investigation on poverty alleviation, and following the spirit of the 14th session of CAST’s Party members’ group, the Fixed-point Poverty Alleviation Office of CAST has formulated the work plan in 2018.
(I) Firmly implementing the spirit of the Central Committee, and promoting the fulfillment of the “Six Responsibilities” in fixed-point poverty alleviation work on full round
According to the spirit ofGuidance on Further Strengthening State Organs’ Fix-point Poverty Alleviation Workissued by General Office of CPC Central Committee and General Office of the State Council, and focusing on the fulfillment of the “Six Responsibilities” of state organs in fixed-point poverty alleviation work proposed by the Central Committee and the State Council, CAST will further implement the fixed-point poverty alleviation work in Lin and Lan counties.
1. Integrating fixed-point poverty alleviation in the comprehensive strategic cooperation between CAST and Shanxi Association for Science and Technology. CAST will help Shanxi Province implement innovation-driven development strategy and the strategy on developing a quality workforce, aiming to establish “a resource-based economic transformation demonstration area”, create “vanguard of energy revolution” and build “opening-up hubs of inland areas”. It will promote the coordinated development strategy between Shanxi Province and Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Region, as well as the comprehensive strategic cooperation among provincial capitals, which makes fixed-point poverty alleviation the priority in the comprehensive strategic cooperation between CAST and Shanxi Association for Science and Technology.
2. Supervising and helping fixed-point poverty alleviation counties implement their responsibilities, relevant policies and measures. According to the Central Committee’ requirement, CAST will fulfill its responsibility in fixed-point poverty alleviation work by strengthening supervision and implementing targeted poverty alleviation in the two counties. It will set up regular meeting mechanism to communicate regularly with the counties on poverty alleviation work. By combining on-site supervision with file access, it will supervise local poverty alleviation work. With problem-oriented principle and in-depth investigation, it will find out the real situation and demand, further focus on “targeted” way and help the counties solve the key issues with specific policies.
3. Continuing to select seconded cadres for poverty alleviation work. Under the unified deployment by the Organization Department of CPC Central Committee, CAST will select more excellent and reliable seconded cadres by following strict criteria to work in fixed-point poverty alleviation counties and villages to meet their actual demand. It will show more care, solicitude and support to these seconded cadres and guarantee their remuneration.
4. Enhancing the supervision and management of poverty alleviation funds. According to the Central Committee’ relevant regulations on the management of poverty alleviation funds andNotice of CAST on Issuing Financial Program Management Method (Revised) (No.43)issued by the General Office, CAST will formulate financial program management methods for fixed-point poverty alleviation. During the fixed-point poverty alleviation work, it will perfect its project library, strengthen the management of the whole process of poverty alleviation, enhance the whole process of project approval, budget development, budget appraisal, project implementation, project acceptance and performance assessment, and guarantee the “targeted input” and efficiency of projects. It will carry out interim assessment and the acceptance of projects, and strengthen the supervision of funds, so as to guarantee the direction of project implementation and the efficiency of funds.
5. Deepening strategic cooperation with Lvliang. Underthe comprehensive strategic cooperation framework between CAST and Shanxi Association for Science and Technology, CAST will further deepen its strategic cooperation with Lvliang focusing on helping people access intelligence. It will support the organization of “Lvliang Development Forum”, the building of Lvliang Cloud Computing Big Data Center, and the development of Lvliang University.
(II) Continuing to promote industry-based poverty alleviation work in Lin and Lan counties with poverty alleviation as the theme
Based on the good results achieved, CAST will enlarge its investment in S&T programs by focusing on characteristic industries in Lin and Lan counties and the actual demand of poor households. In 2018, it will continue to support 10 programs in potato, edible fungus, and jujube industries in the two counties, and 8 additional service programs in industries such as web e-commerce sales, animal husbandry and meat processing, and demonstration base building, which is expected to directly lift 2,225 registered households or 6,560 poor people out of poverty.
1. Continuing to support potato industry and make it bigger and stronger. CAST will support the two counties to construct demonstration bases of new potato varieties as well as new technologies, and potato deep processing. By extending industry chain, it will create the production model of the whole industry chain, improve the quality and increase the income of potato industry.
2. Continuing to support the upgrade of edible fungus industry and the replacement of the varieties. CAST will support the introduction of primary processing production line of edible fungus, the pilot of Morchella industry, and the introduction of new varieties as well as new technologies, to further improve economic returns of edible fungus industry.
Figure 3: Lentinus edodes test base of Wanjiale Association in Lin county
3. Continuing to support jujube industry to break the development bottleneck. CAST will establish academician workstations, overcome technical barriers, and explore effective ways to solve long-term problems faced by jujube main production area in Lin county through breed improvement, improved management, and deep processing.
4. Supporting web e-commerce sales. CAST will support the two counties to publicize and sell agricultural products via “Lvliang Mountain Products” e-commerce platform. It will strengthen the building of logistics infrastructure, cultivate farmers’ awareness of e-commerce as well as e-commerce talents, and expand sales channels of agricultural products.
New e-commerce operating model of “Lvliang Mountain Products” combining live broadcast and poverty alleviation
Figure 4: Live broadcast of Lvliang’s mountain products at the event
5. Supporting animal husbandry and meat processing industry. CAST will support the establishment of grass planting demonstration pilot, and the construction of forage grass factory. It will demonstrate and promote the sales model of order-to-payment as well as the management model of “enterprises plus village committees plus poor households”, which improves the management of animal husbandry in the two counties.
6. Supporting the construction of demonstration bases in new industries. CAST will support the construction of science popularization bases which integrate planting with breeding, develop new industries, and demonstrate new planting and breeding technologies. It will give play to the scale benefits, and promote advanced management model, laying the foundation for all-round promotion and fostering the upgrade of agriculture industry.
(III) Focusing on helping people access intelligence so as to largely increase the fixed-point poverty alleviation counties’ public service capacity on science popularization
CAST will focus on helping people access intelligence in fixed-point poverty alleviation work, and take science popularization as the focus of efforts. To meet the actual demand of production and life as well as the improvement of scientific literacy of the poor people in two counties, it will enhance the construction of grass-roots associations for science and technology, further improve the allocation of available science popularization resources, and strengthen operation and application, so as to largely increase the fixed-point poverty alleviation counties’ public service capacity on science popularization.
1. Supporting the organizing capacity improvement of “Three Plus One” pilot programs for grass-roots associations of science and technology to improve key poor counties’ public service capacity. CAST will focus on absorbing “grass-root hospital presidents, school principals and agro-tech station directors” to work as leaders or secondees in associations for science and technology at various levels in Lin and Lan counties as well as following superiors’ instructions, so as to improve the organizing capacity through “Three Plus One” pilot programs, and fully enhance the construction of grass-roots associations for science and technology. It will let school principals play the leading role in uniting S&T education practitioners, strengthen S&T education among teenagers, and improve scientific literacy of adults from poor families through the model of “Small Hand in Big Hand”. It will let hospital directors play the leading role in uniting S&T medical practitioners, establish medical teams with extensive participation of medical and technical personnel, and organize activities to publicize a healthy and civilized lifestyle. It will let the heads of the agrotechnical station play the leading role in uniting agricultural technicians and capable persons in obtaining wealth through S&T, and facilitate targeted poverty alleviation work as well as pursue a rural vitalization strategy through technology promotion training and service program in the industry. It will encourage and guide medical and educational experts, as well as educators in the two counties to launch specialized societies which will organize academic activities, so as to expand the coverage of county level societies’ in activities. It will strengthen the construction of county level federations of rural special technology associations based on advantageous industries such as potato, edible fungus, and jujube, and give full play to rural special technology associations at various levels in the grassroots agricultural technology promotion system. It will implement higher Association’s instructions, and support the two counties’ Association for Science and Technology, which sets conditions, provides platforms and guarantees the enumeration and support for these “grass-roots hospital presidents, school principals and agro-tech station directors”.
2. Supporting the establishment of the Science Popularization E-Station Plus, promoting the transformation and upgrade of science popularization positions. CAST will further improve the allocation of available science popularization resources, strengthen operation and application of existing facilities positions, especially the existing Science Popularization E-Stations, make them truly work as platforms for science popularization, and help people access intelligence. It will combine the upgrade of the Science Popularization E-Station with knowledge, and carry out science popularization activities in a way that people really enjoy, focusing on production and life, health, as well as the promotion of planting and breeding technologies. It will give full play to Science Popularization E-Stations in the fields such as technology training, and the circulation channels in the market of agricultural production inputs and agricultural products, which lifts people out of poverty and helps them make their money. It will play a role in skill training of poor people and cultivate more rural able persons in obtaining wealth.
3. Exploring the establishment of the pilot science popularization towns. CAST will investigate the feasibility of the establishment of the pilot science popularization towns. Together with local government, it intends to establish such towns and promote science popularization tourism depending on big science facilities, big projects, as well as local culture and ecology.
4. Carrying out science popularization activities, and improving scientific literacy. CAST will support the further implementation of existing science popularization activities such as Potato Festival, University Science Camp, Small Hand in Big Hand – Hope Tour of Science Popularization Lecture, and Health, and make them famous brands. It will carry out science popularization activities for teenagers and China Mobile Science Museum exhibitions in fixed-point poverty alleviation counties to improve the educational level of science popularization for teenagers in poor areas. It will carry out skill training of poor people, and organize medical experts to conduct free clinic and training courses.
(IV) Aiming at encouragement, fostering the spirit of poverty alleviation and eradication through S&T
Aiming at encouragement, CAST will foster the spirit of poverty alleviation and eradication through S&T, focus on the publicity of the experience, selection of capable persons in obtaining wealth, and training of capable persons, so as to stimulate internal impetus of the poor people and strengthen their confidence in poverty alleviation, which has provided a good public opinion environment and spiritual impetus, and created a strong publicity atmosphere with the whole society participating in and supporting poverty alleviation.
1. Holding national on-site meetings on facilitating targeted poverty alleviation with science and technology. CAST will publicize typical characters and their stories, sum up their experiences, and promote typical models of poverty alleviation.
2. Setting examples of people serving poverty alleviation work through S&T. CAST will publicize grass-roots capable persons and models in poverty alleviation, and set examples among poor people through typical fixed-point poverty alleviation cases. Besides, it will compile a volume of advanced stories to promote successful experience and build the confidence to alleviate poverty among poor people.
3. Developing training courses for capable persons in obtaining wealth. Based on local characteristic industries, CAST will organize training courses for capable persons in obtaining wealth and rural technologies, cultivate a number of technical experts and capable persons in obtaining wealth who are experts in technologies, business management, and can lead other farmers. CAST will take advantage of the leading role of capable persons to lift registered poor people out of poverty.